Amritsar – Holy City in North India
Amritsar is one of the most developed cities of Punjab. It is considered as the Sikh headquarters of the country. The land boasts of rich pulchritude in the form of fields. The land is very close to Lahore, Pakistan and there are areas that have an influence of the neighbouring country.
Located in: Punjab
Connection with the cities of India
Since it is one of the prime cities of Punjab, the connectivity with the other cities of the country is enviable.
Road- The city is connected by the Grand trunk road, which is also known as National Highway 1 and is one of the best highways of the country. The city is not just connected with cities within the country, but also with Lahore, Pakistan. There are scores of buses and cabs that ply from the neighbouring cities, mainly, Delhi, Chandigarh, Jammu etc.
Rail- There is hardly any city that is not connected to Amritsar by rail. There are trains from far south that come all the way to Amritsar, as it one of the busiest cities in the north and is important not just from the tourist point of view, but also, trade aspect. The main trains to the city are:
- Amritsar Express (11057) – From New Delhi to Amritsar Junction
- Swarna Shatabdi (12029) – From New Delhi to Amritsar Junction
- Paschim Express (12925) – From Borivali, Mumbai to Amritsar Junction
- Jaipur Asr Express (19771) – From Jaipur, Rajasthan to Amritsar
Air- The city has an international airport to its name and it is one of the swankiest ones that India currently has. The airport has been named Sri Guru Ram Das Jee International Airport. Main flights to the city are:
- Spicejet SG2221 Flights from Delhi to Amritsar; operates daily
- Jetlite S23641 Flights from Delhi to Amritsar; operates daily
- Jetlite S23235 Flights from Mumbai to Amritsar; operates daily
- AirIndia AI601 Flights from Mumbai to Amritsar; operates daily
- Jetairways 9W7122 Flights from Indore to Amritsar; only on Wednesday and Saturday
- Jetlite S23509 Flights from Indore to Amritsar; on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday
Places of interest- Golden temple (Harmandir Sahib), Jalianwaala Bagh, Durgiana Temple (Lakshmi Narain Temple), Wagah Border, Pul Kanjari, Samadh of Shravan.
Best time to visit Amritsar- The best time to visit Amritsar is between November and March.