Goa is one of the smallest states of India, and is located on the shoreline of the country, which means that there are countless beaches in the area. But, it is not just the beaches that attract tourists from all parts of the globe. The place boasts of a very ancient cultural heritage and was one of the first to be invaded by the rulers of the west. The influence still exists and can be seen in the lifestyle of the people. There are old churches and forts situated here.
Connectivity to the other parts of the country
By road- Goa is well connected to the rest of India, but the route that is mostly made use of is the National Highway 17, which has now been renumbered as National Highway 66. The road connects Kerala, Maharashtra and Goa, while moving through the Western Ghats.
There are buses and cabs that run on this route almost daily.
By rail- All the major trains running in the South Western Railway division have a stop at at least one of the stations of Goa. The main stations of the place are- Karmali, Margo, Vasco-da-Gama and Canocoma.
Trains to Goa
- Goa Samparkranti (12450) from Delhi to Karmali, Goa; operational on Mondays and Saturdays
- Konkan Kanya Express(10111) from Mumbai CST to Karmali, Goa; operational on all days
- Yeshwantpur Vasco Express (17309) From Yeshwantpur, Bangalore to Madgaon, Goa; On Tuesdays and Sundays
- Amravati Express (18047) from Howrah, Kolkata to Vasco Da Gama, Goa; functional on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
- Asr Kcvl Express (12484) from Amritsar Junction to Madgaon, Goa, weekly (on Sundays)
By air- The air connection of Goa with the other cities of India is commendable and one of the main reasons for this is the fact that the place is thronged by national and international tourists at all times of the year. The airport of Goa is situated at Dabolim and there are international flights that are permitted as well.
Main flights to Goa
- Goair G8179 from Delhi to Goa; on Wednesdays and Thursdays
- Air India AI1984 from Mumbai to Goa; on Tuesdays and Saturdays
- Spicejet SG803 from Kolkata to Goa; daily except Saturdays
- Jetairways 9W2382 from Indore to Goa; daily
- Air India AI978 from Hyderabad to Goa; Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
Places of interest in Goa
Beaches – Anjuna Beach, Palolem Beach, Baga Beach, Vagator Beach, Varca Beach etc
Historic sites – Aguada Fort, Church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception, Se Cathedral, Tomb of St. Francis Xavier
Things to do in Goa – indulging in water sports, going on a cruise, visiting old Goa
Best time to visit – Late October to early April