The Andaman and Nicobar Islands are afloat in the Bay of Bengal. These are a set of islands that are free from the mayhem of the mainland. Some of them are uninhabited as well. Among these islands, the Havelock island is supposed to be the most popular.
Connectivity to the main cities of the country
Since Andaman and Nicobar Islands are present on the sea surface, there is no way that they can be connected to the mainland by rail or road. There is only one way to get to the place and that is via ship.
There are ships that ply from Chennai, Vishakapatnam and Kolkata that carry people to the islands.
By air- There is an airport at Port Blair and that is the sole airport on the islands. The main flights to the city are:
- Air India AI9601- from Delhi to Port Blair; daily except Wednesdays
- Air India AI762 Flights from Delhi to Port Blair; on Saturdays
- Air India AI675 Flights from Mumbai to Port Blair; daily
- Air India AI671 Flights from Mumbai to Port Blair; daily
- Air India AI772 Flights from Bangalore to Port Blair; except Mondays and Wednesdays
Places of interest in Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Radhanagar Beach (Havelock island), Cellular Jail (Port Blair), Kaala Pathar Beach (Havelock Island), Samudroka Marine museum (Port Blair), Government Saw Mill Chatham (Port Blair), Corbyn’s cove (Port Blair), Mount Harriet National Park, Barren island volcano
Best time to visit – October to May
Activities to indulge in, at the Andaman and Nicobar islands
- Indulge in the water sports that are held there, which includes kayaking, rowing, water skiing, wind surfing
- Try the delicious seafood that is served in almost all the restaurants that are situated there
- Pay a visit to the anthropological museum that is present there
- Shop for the local handicrafts from the emporiums and shops
These are some of the most famous places in India and what they have to offer you in the form of historical and cultural sites. As the country is endowed with natural beauty, there will be no paucity in the peace that you are looking for, in a holiday.