Jammu and Kashmir is commonly known as “Heaven on Earth”. The state is known for its natural beauty in the form of scenic landscapes and serene lakes. There are some historic sites as well, but they are rather sparse. Srinagar is one of the main attractions of this state.
Connectivity to the other parts of the country
By road- The terrain of the place is not very favourable for laying roads, yet there are quite a few roads that keep the state connected with the heart of India. There are many options when it comes to road transport and these include buses, shard jeeps, etc.
By rail- Jammu and Kashmir is well connected by train and that makes it very easy and comfortable for tourists to travel. The main station of the state is Jammutawi. Main trains to Jammu and Kashmir are:
- Jhelum Express (1077) – From Pune to Jammutawi
- Ajmer – Jammutawi Express (2413)- From Ajmer Junction to Jammutawi
- Jammu Mail (4033)- From Delhi to Udhampur
- Andaman Express (6031)- From Chennai Central to Jammutawi
- Sarvodaya Express (2473)- From Ahmedabad Junction to Jammutawi
By air- The main airport of Jammu and Kashmir is at Srinagar. It is a domestic airport and there are not many flights to the city, but the main cities are well connected to it by the air routes. The list of important flights has been mentioned below.
- Goair G8331 Flights from Delhi to Srinagar; daily
- Jetlite S24108 Flights from Delhi to Srinagar; daily
- Goair G8387 Flights from Mumbai to Srinagar; on Wednesdays and Tuesdays
- Jetairways 9W2139 Flights from Mumbai to Srinagar; on Sundays
- Air India AI761 Flights from Kolkata to Srinagar; all days except Wednesday
- Jet airways 9W804 Flights from Bangalore to Srinagar; daily except Mondays and Thursdays
Places of interest in Jammu and Kashmir
As mentioned before the place is overflowing with natural beauty and has an old world touch to it.
Nature hotspots – Gulmarg, Indira Gandhi Tulip garden (Srinagar), Nagin Lake (Srinagar), Baisaran, Apharwat peak (Gulmarg), Thajiwas Glacier (Sonamarg)
Historic and Cultural sites – Pari Mahal(Srinagar), Shalimar Bagh (Srinagar), Diskit gompa, Garden of Char Minar, Burzhama Ruins
Other things to do indulge in Jammu and Kashmir
Apart from sightseeing there are many other activities that you can part-take in while you are in Jammu and Kashmir. They are:
- Travelling by cable car at Gulmarg
- Trekking at Sonamarg to the valley via the Gangabal lake
- Trout fishing at Sonamarg
- Skimming the lakes on the house-boats that are present there
- Playing golf at Gulmarg
- Going in for the many adventure sports that are held at Leh and Ladakh
Best time to visit Jammu and Kashmir- Between the months of September and April